This article was written in German, automatically translated into other languages and editorially reviewed. We welcome feedback at the end of the article.
What is an AI algorithm?
An AI algorithm is a mathematical approach or procedure developed by artificial intelligence (AI) is used to solve specific tasks or problems. An AI algorithm consists of various components, including input data, a function or model trained on the data, and output results. The algorithm can use various AI techniques, such as. machine learning., neural networks or statistical models. This identifies patterns in the data to make predictions or decisions.
Data Scientists feed the AI algorithm with a large amount of training data to improve its performance. In this way, they find optimal solutions to the specific problem. By repeating and adapting the algorithm, it can learn to improve its accuracy over time and adapt to new data.
AI applications in companies
AI algorithms are used in many fields, such as the Image- and speech recognition, automatic translation, data analysis and robotics. They enable computers to perform complex tasks and simulate human-like behavior or decision making. Here are some algorithms with possible applications:
Artificial neural networks (KNN) in the health care industry
Artificial neural networks are a fundamentally important AI algorithm inspired by the way the human brain works. They are used in a variety of use cases, including image recognition, language processing, machine learning, and deep neural networks. In the healthcare industry, for example, KNNs help diagnose diseases based on medical images. In finance, they help detect fraud by analyzing transaction data.
Decision trees in customer service and production
Decision trees are hierarchical models that make decisions based on input attributes. They are used in various areas, such as customer service, to automatically categorize customer inquiries and route them to the right employee. In production, decision trees can help with quality control by identifying and sorting out defective products.
Genetic Algorithms in Logistics and Robotics
Genetic algorithms mimic the process of natural evolution to find optimal solutions to complex problems. In the logistics industry, genetic algorithms can help calculate the most efficient route for transporting goods, optimizing costs and delivery times. In robotics, they are used to improve the movement and navigation of robots.
Support Vector Machines (SVM) for pattern recognition and classification
SVM algorithms are used in pattern recognition and classification. In the security industry, they can help detect suspicious behavior and identify potential threats at an early stage. SVMs are also used in medicine to classify disease patterns and develop personalized treatment plans.
K-means clustering in marketing and transportation planning.
The K-means clustering algorithm is used to group similar data points into clusters. In the marketing industry, K-means clustering algorithms can help divide customers into different segments and develop personalized marketing campaigns. In traffic planning, they can help analyze traffic patterns and drive road network optimization.
NLP (Natural Language Processing) for classification and extraction of documents
NLP algorithms analyze and understand natural language to extract relevant information. They can search text documents for keywords. They also use Named Entity Recognition (NER) to identify people, places, or organizations. They also use text classification to group texts into different categories.
OCR (Optical Character Recognition) to turn images and scans into text
OCR-Algorithms recognize and extract text from images or scanned documents. They can recognize printed or handwritten text and convert it into machine-readable text.
Computer vision to analyze images and videos
Computer Vision-Algorithms analyze images or videos to extract visual information. They can recognize objects, faces, emotions, text on images or even complex scenes. Companies use these algorithms in automatic vehicle recognition or quality control.
Program AI yourself or have it developed externally?
The decision of whether a company should program an AI in-house or have it programmed externally depends on a number of factors. Here are some points that companies should consider when making this decision:
- Expertise and resources: Review the existing expertise and resources in your company. Developing AI requires expertise in machine learning, data analytics, and software development. If your company has a team of experienced data scientists and developers working with AI, it might make sense to program the AI internally. Otherwise, external programming is the best option.
- Timeframe: Developing AI in-house requires time and resources for team training, data collection, model training, and iteration. If you need a quick solution or are on a tight schedule, working with external experts may be a more efficient option.
- Purpose and requirements: If your requirements are very specific and require a high level of customization, in-house development can be beneficial. You have full control over the development process and can tailor the AI to your exact needs. If your requirements are less specific, external programming might be less expensive and more effective.
- Cost: Consider whether your company has the financial resources to invest in internal development of an AI. Internal development requires investment in infrastructure, training, salaries and ongoing maintenance. If cost is an issue or if the AI is only needed for a limited period of time, it may be more cost-effective to hire external service providers.
- Support and maintenance: Consider long-term support and maintenance of AI. AI models require regular updates and adjustments to keep up with changing data and requirements. If you don't have internal resources for long-term maintenance, working with an external provider can ensure that your AI is continuously optimized and maintained.
Ultimately, the decision depends on how important AI is to your business, what resources you have available, and what your long-term goals are. There may also be a hybrid solution, where you use both internal and external resources to combine the best of both worlds.
To program an Artificial Intelligence (AI), follow these steps: collect and clean relevant data, select an appropriate AI model, create training data, train the model. Validate and optimize it. finally, implement it in your system. Note that advanced machine learning and programming skills are required.
Popular programming languages for artificial intelligence (AI) development include Python, R, Java, C++, and MATLAB. Python is particularly widely used and offers extensive libraries such as TensorFlow and PyTorch. The choice of programming language depends on the requirements of the project and the preferences of the developers.
Artificial intelligences (AIs) can help with certain aspects of programming, such as code generation, automated error detection, code optimization, and automated testing. However, they currently cannot independently program AIs or perform complex AI programming. Human developers still play a crucial role.